This policy is to provide guidance on how to manage bookings for customers who notified UQ Res that they wish to cancel their booking.
Customers who do not commence occupation of the room on the agreement start date and notify UQ Res at least 30 calendar days prior to the agreement start date can cancel without penalty. A written request must be submitted to UQ Res at least 30 calendar days prior to the agreement start date.
If there is a valid reason for cancellation and the customer can provide adequate documentation to support it, they can be released from the agreement without penalty even if cancellation has been requested less than 30 days before the agreement start date.
If cancellation is requested less than 30 calendar days before the agreement start date and no supporting documentation can be provided UQ Res may retain bond (partially or in full) until the room is leased.
- All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing.
- If cancellation is requested at least 30 calendar days prior to the start date the agreement may be cancelled without penalty.
- If cancellation is requested within 30 days of the start date supporting documentation on inability to commence the course must be provided. Examples include:
- Letter from the Department of Immigration (visa not granted)
- Letter from UQ (not getting a place)
- Letter of acceptance of an offer of social housing
- Doctor’s certificate (serious illness preventing from commencing the course/staying at UQ Res)
- Doctor or hospital bills confirming inability to commence study or financial hardship
- Death certificate (death in the family)
- Bank statements for the last six months confirming financial hardship
- Court orders
- Evidence of impacts of natural disasters and other difficult circumstances
- If no supporting documentation can be provided UQ Res is entitled to recover costs until the room is leased.
- If a customer wishes to cancel while living at UQ Res, they must contact the customer service staff for cancellation steps, options and costs associated.
- Customers are bound by the Agreement terms until the cancellation has been approved in writing by UQ Res management. UQ Res will provide approval/non-approval in writing within 7 days of receiving the cancellation and supporting documentation.
Any breach of this policy or associated policies will be investigated.